Thursday, December 31, 2009

THE TEAR

There, faraway, on a starless night
I saw a pinpoint diamond light
and lacking otherwise a place to go
travelled towards it (unless it drew
me thither)as I came closer to
this point in empty space I saw
it was no diamond,or a star
but single tear suspended there

And as I watched, it seemed to grow
much larger and I felt it draw
me within; I was inside a clear
coursing crystalline solution where
the flux of solids was laid bare

Yet racing in these floods or seas
I could discern the shapes of trees
and a much trafflicked avenue,
ships, books, and battles--also you
who first appeared ,and then withdrew

I saw all this and yet outside
another I remained and watched
in joy and sorrow, mystified
that a tear contained so much.
(1988)

No comments:

Post a Comment